Prepare your stay

Visa and immigration

  • Except for nationals from the European Economic Area, Monaco, Andorra and Switzerland, it is necessary to get a visa to enter and study in metropolitan France. To find out whether you need a visa, visit the France-Visas website:
  • If your country has the “Studying in France” program (“Études en France" - CEF), visit the Campus France website for all necessary information about the application procedure:
  • Otherwise, you will need to visit your local French embassy to follow the application procedure for a student visa. The length of the procedure varies depending on the country and application period, so we recommend you apply well in advance.
For more information:
Visit our dedicated student and PhD visa page


We recommend you start looking for accommodation at least two months prior to your arrival in France. You can find out more by selecting your corresponding profile below:

Practical matters

You can also visit the links below for more information on dining options, budget, transportation and more:

Special status

If your everyday circumstances put major constraints on your time management or make it difficult for you to get around campus, if you have a disability, play sports at an elite level or are a professional artist, if you are involved in a charity organization or are a student entrepreneur, Université Grenoble Alpes may be able to offer you personalized learning support to help you succeed in your studies.
Published on  January 30, 2020
Updated onJuly 1, 2020